The most important website analytics metrics that I have identified for my business include acquisition method, top devices, top pages, demographics, behavior, and conversions. These metrics are the most important metrics because they answer who, what, where, how, and when questions.
How & Where: Acquisition method metrics answer how users arrived on my website and where they came from. Acquisition breaks down all website traffic into direct, organic search, social, referrals, etc. Each of these sources of traffic helps you identify where users are coming from and how they are getting to your site.
What: Top devices breaks down the types of devices that website visitors are using to access the website. This answers the question of what users are doing to find their site. According to my Google Analytics data for this website, 75% of my website visitors have been from a desktop computer and the other 25% were from a mobile device.
What: Top pages shows you what the most popular pages are on the website. This will help you understand what visitors are doing on your website. Currently my top three frequently visited pages on this website are the homepage, about, and contact. Top pages is users' behavior on the website. Behavior metrics also tracks the total number of page views and unique page views, amount of time spent on each page, bounce rate, and exit rate.
Why: It is important to know why site visitors arrived on your website. This can be analyzed through landing pages. Behavior metrics helps break down what pages users landed on when they arrived on your site. For this website, my top three landing pages are the homepage, blog page, and my previous blog post. My blog post was tracked as a landing page because I linked it in a Facebook post. Site visitors that clicked the link from the post then landed on the post's page.
Who: Demographic information is important for any website. These analytics are important because they allow you to learn detailed information on who is looking at your website. Demographic information includes; age, gender, location, language, device type, browser, and more. This information will help you understand if you are reaching your target market and help improve your site and business- allowing you tap into new target markets.
What & Why: If your site is an ecommerce site selling products, tracking conversions will be critical. Conversion rates allow you to track the percentage or number of site visitors completing transactions (essentially making purchases) on the website. This will also help you analyze what your most popular products/ services are, and help you understand why some products/ services may be converting better than others.
Click to set custom HTML
family man and marketing professor;
digital marketing, sports, hard rock, pets,& fitness enthusiast